Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Grey Gloom and Wet Wind



The current view of gloomy weather from my cubicle.
  In like a tiger and out like a lamb...so they say. I would have to disagree and say, "In like a lamb and out like a Tyrannosaurus Rex!"

I would love nothing more than to be sowing my seeds right now but the past few weeks have been nothing less than Seattle-ish. Sometimes I wonder if I conked my head on a rock and forgot that I moved to Seattle or something. Whether it’s the tsunami, climate change, or just bad luck, I suppose I’ll never know what has shifted spring back to winter. What I do know is that the garden is an inch under water. Surprisingly the seedlings look okay.

My asparagus crowns and blueberry bushes are in transit from Grass Valley. I hope to see them soon.


Since I’ve had to stay away from the garden, I’ve been hanging out in the park. I noticed the cherry blossoms just came out last week and were promptly followed by 30 mph winds. Those little beauties held tight though. While I walked through the park today I noticed there was a function on the West Steps of the Capitol – it was Ag Day!! I wandered around and there were farmers and various organizations that support farmers giving out free goods. I came back to the office with an armload of fresh flowers from the California State Floral Association but others got honey sticks, t-shirts, fresh broccoli, apples, oranges, and a whole lot of information from various Ag related groups and farmers. My ex-bee group was there but I steered clear of them. All in all it was a pleasant surprise on this doom and gloom day.


Tonight I meet with my secret agent – the “Winter Daphne Fragrance Finder” secret agent. We’ll have to see what she’s come up with. So maybe there is another pleasant surprise for me today after all.

Hope you're all enjoying better weather!

Daphne

3 comments:

  1. Not much better here in northern Wisconsin. The last 2 days saw a March blizzard here. We have over a foot of new snow ans lots of drifting. Summer where are you? Hope you find sun soon.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that makes me feel a little better. Misery loves company! :) Oh and that groundhog was wrong!!

    ReplyDelete