Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Current Line-up


The vegetables are loving this mild summer. I found myself sitting on the soil hand-plucking little weeds. All of a sudden I had the feeling that I was becoming incased in foliage. I swear I could hear the leaves bursting from the stems as I sat there. When I got up it felt as though everything grew a foot while I was sitting there…except for the sunflowers. Those little guys are having a hard time for one reason or another.

I failed to post a diagram of my summer garden earlier this year but here is a picture. Better late than never I say!


Current line-up:

Tomatoes – I’m not even going to attempt to guess which varieties I have. It will be a surprise to all of us!
Potatoes – French fingerling, red, white, Yukon, russet
Artichoke
Eggplant
Zucchini
Yellow straight neck squash
Buttercup squash
Cucumbers – Armenian, Lemon, Pickling
Carrots – Red and typical orange
Pinto Beans
Cow peas
Peppers/Chiles – Thai, Habaneros, Jalapenos, Big Jims, Poblanos, Hot Banana, Sweet red stuffing (I like spicy!)
Okra
Tomatillos
Sunflowers
Leeks
Watermelon
Butternut squash
Beets – Golden and traditional
Chard – Rainbow and Swiss
Pumpkins - ???
Scallions and Chinese onions
Lettuce – I’m letting this batch all go to seed so that I can harvest them for next year
Herbs and flowers  

I harvested all of my garlic and shallots this weekend. That was a blast! I loved yanking those suckers out of the ground.  Some were rather small so I saved a few of the largest heads to plant next year in hopes that the natural selection process is prosperous for me.

Some pictures from this weekend:

Eggplant

Volunteer pumpkin. You can see the tip of my toes
near the bottom of the pumpkin for scale purposes.
Apparently a second round of artichokes!
Little corn coming up. It's hard to see with the weeds behind them.

The cutest little Armenian cucumber you could imagine. 


Potatoes. Beans are on the front edge.

In the upper left corner there is a plant that looks like it has round scalloped leaves. I think it
might be a hollyhock that I planted last year and never came up. I'll have to be patient to find out.

Chinese onions


Buttercup squash

An example of the ridiculous amount of squash I'm getting.

Herb and flower garden

Not much diversity here but a good crop for me to enjoy this week.


I hope everyone is finding success with their gardens this year! Mine is off to a slow start but based on what I experienced this weekend I think everything will be here in no time.

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment