Sunday, July 17, 2011

Keeping Basil Fresh

Have you ever gone out to the garden and saw that your basil has grown what seems a foot over night? I try to pick and pinch back my sweet basil to keep it bushy.

The cinnamon basil is another story because I love to see it flower and watch the bees dance on the pale purple blossoms. Plus, how much cinnamon basil can one eat anyhow?

Now, back to the sweet basil. Once you pinch everything back, how can you keep this bushel of basil fresh for a few days so you can use it for pesto one night and a Margarita pizza the next, etc.?

I've tried everything but then I found the answer! Keeping basil in the refrigerator is a move in the wrong direction. I know that this goes against all common sense and rules of other herbs. Basil turns dark brow in the refrigerator. Setting it in a glass of water isn't that much better. I know it starts growing roots and it will stick around for weeks but I don't like how it gets leggy and to me it just isn't worth it since I have access to fresh basil out in my garden at least once a week. My goal is to keep what I pick fresh and perfect for a week.

Basil needs to be kept on the counter at room temperature but it needs a bubble of protection...a zip top bag. Pick your basil or buy a bunch at the farmers' market and don't wash it. The moisture will make it go bad quickly - wash your basil and pat it dry right before you consume it or cook with it.

  1. Put your basil in a zip top bag and make sure you have plenty of air space in the bag. You may need to use a few bags so you don't crowd the leaves.
  2. Zip the bag almost all the way closed.
  3. Put a straw in the opening and blow air into the bag until it is completely full.
  4. Quickly remove the straw and zip it shut so that the air is trapped inside.


Basil put into the bag and then air blown into the bag with a straw.
 The basil will be floating around loosely in the bag. Just leave it on the counter. Again, do not put it in the refrigerator.


Bag of 10 day old basil.
 I've had this bag of basil sitting on the counter for 10 days and it looks great. Some condensation has started accumulating so a few of the leaves that are on the bottom have gotten a little brown from the moisture but the leaves on the top look beautiful and are actually blooming. They've somehow grown so to speak.

This method has worked perfect for me and I think it will for you too!

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment