Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The story of THE seed…

Since I don’t have daily access to my garden (or at least it’s not realistic to), I’ve taken to caring for a young seedling at my desk at work. It some strange way it’s keeping me focused on my goals for my garden as it is a daily reminder that my seedlings are growing and will have ever changing needs.

The story of the seed…

I was eating dinner in a outdoor café on May 10 when I looked down and saw a dried tomato seed lying down on the table. I had to take it with me. I carefully placed it in my wallet and then forgot about it for a few days. When I remembered, I was at work. Why not have a little sprouting project at my desk?

One coworker scoffed at the idea and said that it was probably a Monsanto seed and wouldn’t grow. I figured that she was probably wrong and even if it was a Monsanto seed, it would definitely grow even if I sprayed Round-Up on it – right? I might go to jail but at least I would prove her wrong.

I placed the single seed in a damp paper towel inside an opened sandwich bag and let it sit there. I checked everyday until I saw a tiny white and succulent root shoot out of the brown capsule. I waited and waited and checked everyday, loosening the roots grip of the paper towel. After a few days, it was time to plant. I planted the germinated seed last Thursday, May 20. Since then, I’ve managed to rip the outer reaches of the cotyledons off – this is because I just wanted that seed sheath off of the leaves – I wanted to see green!! I tugged and pulled until the sheath came off and part of the leaves came off with it.

Thankfully, it’s still alive and seems to be getting stronger. I leave the watering dish and peat pot under my task light because our windows in the office block out the sun pretty well.

Maybe one of these days I’ll be able to plant this guy in my garden. We’ll see what weird thing comes of it. I’m sure it’s from a hybrid and will most likely produce odd or inferior fruit.

I just couldn't resist the temptation. And in the meantime, it’s a fun exercise.

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment