Sunday, June 13, 2010

All it Takes is a Day Sometimes

First Crookneck Squash

All of yesterday’s drama in the city have made things quiet tonight -- and boy do I need the peace and quiet more than ever. After a horrendous week of needless beekeeper association havoc and a weekend full of activity and hard work, I couldn’t be more happy to just sit down at my computer, pet Charlee and put on an old Sex and the City DVD and enjoy the quiet city outside my open windows. I suppose my choices of relaxation tonight are a complete diversion of what my life has been like recently. Sometimes people just try to make things more exciting because they don’t have enough going on. I have to remind myself of that. I won’t get into the details but basically, there are too many people that don’t have enough to do. All I want to focus on are my bees and my garden and friends and family. Unfortunately, my new role as VP is leaving most of it out in the cold but I dedicated a full day to my garden today and I’m feeling much better about things. I’ve gained a sunburn and regained my perspective -- all it takes is a day sometimes.

The garden continues to grow and so does my faith in it actually producing something. I ate a green bean today! It’s fun to think back to the days when they were growing in my apartment. It’s amazing how quickly they are growing now that the days have grown very warm. The nay saying neighbor actually said that the garden was looking very nice and growing quickly. Whew. All is good in the neighborhood.

I was on a weed pulling tirade today. The weeds are very tiny because I’ve been keeping up on it but I went through and hand pulled most. Then went back an hour later and went through with the same vigor. Then another hour later I went out there with a spade and hacked all around the edges trying to get all of the beloved Bermuda Grass out. Then this evening around 8 p.m. I went out again for a final walk-through. I would like to report that there is not a single weed in my garden now. I know that next week will require a full day’s work to keep it in the same shape but I think it will be worth avoiding the nightmares later.

I started staking up the tomato plants! I’m placing a stake on either side of the tomato row and then running twine around the stakes to somewhat encase the plants. It holds them up nice and straight and it takes up less room than tomato cages. Oh and it’s much cheaper too. I’m actually using tree branches that we’ve recently pruned as the stakes and an old kite string as the twine.

The fence project has come to a stop, I’ve realized that I like it fenceless for now. It’s really easy to weed and access everything. It might be a problem when the cottontails find the garden but I’ll have to address that when the time comes.


Here are some pictures from today.


Squash

Pumpkins, Corn and Beans

Sweet Potato

Potatoes, Peppers, Pole Beans and Tomatillos

Chard, Beets and Okra

When things don't go as planned, remember what a difference a day of soil under your nails can make.

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment