Friday, June 4, 2010

Herbed Duck with Frog Legs - Well Not Really

I’m a bit behind on documenting my gardening because I’ve just been dumped on by the beekeeper’s association. This is a lot of hard work! Just to give the gist of it, I am now working with our very energetic president and I’ve found myself caught in the middle of what appears to be a bunch of association politics and years of bad feelings. So far it’s going OK and I hope it improves as the dust settles.

As for the garden, it’s doing marvelous considering our wacky weather. This past weekend was a nice weekend to play a little catch-up on the plot. I spent a good while pulling tiny little weeds out. My mother spent a little time pulling tiny little seedlings out – oops. She felt bad and I was a bit sad. She was just trying to help and to her benefit, they did look like the weeds.

I went to the local garden center and picked up a few extra things just because I feel that our growing season is shrinking. For example, today is June 4 and it might rain. This is just unheard of. For that reason, I picked up three established tomato plants, a few eggplants and a whole lot of herbs. I was really excited to find Stevia at the center because I’ve always wanted to grow one and I forgot to purchase seeds for it a while back. I think it will make for pretty looking lemonade – put some of the fresh leaves at the bottom of a glass and crush them like you would for a mojito, squeeze fresh lemon juice, toss in some lemon slices and then add some chilled water. I think that would be great. I haven’t tried it but I think it would work! Oh and I bought some Lemon Balm too – hey I could throw some of those in there too.

Here are some pictures of the garden as it was this past weekend. I still need to make the fence and arbor but I have some of the base branches installed.

Sunflowers and cucumbers

Peppers

Various Squash

Herbs - many are so small you can't see them.

Tomatillos

Who ate my eggplant?

My first bell pepper.

My first green beens!

These are THE babies that I tormented over (tomatoes).

Potatoes!


Baby ducks were born this weekend. They are just so precious and darling. I ran over and gave the hen some rolled oats so that she could still nest but get something to eat. I also made a little puddle for them to play in. They had a great time. Here are a few pictures of the cuties - they grow up so fast.




And a random frog that I thought was cute:


I hope everyone's garden is growing with grandeur,

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment