Monday, June 28, 2010

The neighbor is back on my "compost" list

You know, "compost happens." But it doesn't have to happen due to someones purposeful bad Intel. Remember my naughty neighbor? She's struck again. For those of you in the Sacramento area, you know how hot it was this weekend. I knew that Sunday was going to be too hot for any real garden work so I came out to the garden late on Saturday night (about 8:30 p.m.) to check on things, give everything a good soak in preparation of the 102 degree day to come and pull some weeds. You know who came up to the fence to say hello. Or so I thought she just came by to say hello. While pointing at my pumpkins she said, "You know, I've been watching your garden. What are those?" "They are really big! And I can't hardly see your corn anymore. I've been watching the corn and I have to tell you that you have suckers growing on them that you need to trim off." Oh is that so... "You need to cut those off because my corn is much farther along than yours and I already had suckers that went to seed and that means that I won't be getting any corn. You need to cut those off right now!"


I just shined her on and told her how great it was for her to tell me that but I was running an experiment on that exact subject and that I was going to let them go. She gave me the craziest look and then walked away.

Now, I can tell you that you should NOT cut off the suckers. After she told me this I quickly looked it up and everywhere I've read, it said specifically not to or that the removal of suckers had no benefit.

Remember that most of us are happy to share tricks and we want to nurture each other's green thumb but always check scholarly documents or books before acting on something that doesn't sound quite right. Some may give you misguided information accidentally.


Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment