Monday, August 23, 2010

Fall Garden Planting

As life is moving closer and closer back to “normal,” things are starting to get done in the garden again. All of the ears of corn have been ripped from their stocks, the winter squash have been harvested and are waiting to cure, the sunflowers were decapitated and then blasted down, and the summer and winter squash vines have been torn from their clutches on the earth.

The old is becoming new again and things are starting to get exciting once more. The soil has been turned and new fall seeds have been planted. Finally the heirloom tomatoes are starting to earn their keep. They are turning their various shades of pink, orange, red, yellow and striped patterns (I should be getting some purple ones one of these days). All of the marigolds and other flowers I’ve planted in the garden are in full bloom and everything looks lovely and fresh.

For the fall and winter garden, I’ve planted broccoli, cauliflower, various beets, leeks, green onions, turnips, Brussels sprouts, two types of cabbages, bok choy, Romaine lettuce, Butter Crunch lettuce, Endive, Red leaf lettuce, and something called Great Lakes lettuce. I don’t know if I’m remembering everything but I’ll draw another diagram and post it so that I can at least keep track of what is what and where it is. I’m going to try a variation of the garbage can potatoes thanks to the great post by Anna from Back to Our Roots. My potatoes did so great during the summer that I’m excited what they might do during actual potato season. The winter squash that I’ve already picked (Blue Hubbard, Butternut and Buttercup) will be ready to eat for the full winter season.

Things that I’ve learned from my summer garden this year:

1) Do not plant sunflowers in the actual garden. The sunflowers were the biggest culprits in the pest department and I really think they created the domino of an aphid infestation in other plants. They also are loved by the ants too much for my own good.

2) Keep control over the winter squash vines and don’t plant them next to the summer squash plants.

3) So far the heirlooms that I’ve been able to taste have been terrible. They look so beautiful yet when you take a bite, you wish you’d taken a bite from a cow pie instead. They have been absolutely dreadful. Moral: Always, plant hybrids too just incase. I’m not sure if it’s been the unseasonably cool weather or if they are just disgusting by nature. Yuck! It will be 105 for a couple of days this week so I’ll have to get back to you on that one.

4) Plants don’t like growing exclusively in compost. The organic compost that I purchased and had dumped on my site is gorgeous. It’s black and luscious looking however I’ve noticed that where the compost is thickest, the plants never grew at all. They struggled the whole time and didn’t produce much at all. The outer edges of the garden where the actual soil and compost was mixed 50-50 is where the plants are happiest.

5) Don’t grow corn in a row. Corn should be grown in blocks or a circle so that the silks can be pollinated easily. Also, I read that you can tape up the ends of the ears after they have been pollinated so that they don’t get infested with corn earworm. I unfortunately had this problem but all that we had to do is break off the first inch or two that had been snacked on.

6) Lastly, I’ve learned that everyday I learn something new and not to get discouraged. That’s why it’s best to push yourself and try things in the garden that you haven’t tried before – new varieties and new planting ideas. It all helps you and builds on what you already know. Right now I’m looking into what companion plants will work with my fall and winter vegetables.

Even if you’re not planning a fall or winter garden, remember to plant flowers that will last through the fall to keep your pollinators well fed during this time of things starting to dry out and their sources of food are getting scarce. Plus this makes your yard and garden look nice. I’m planting another round of zinnias, daisies, lavender, snapdragons, asters, marigolds and I’m not pinching back all of my basil, mint and cilantro anymore because I want some of it to flower for them.

And on a very happy note, two of the kittens have been adopted. They aren’t ready to leave the litter yet but they have a happy home waiting for them. Two others have potential homes so things are moving along. Each one of those kittens has a special personality and they have such gratitude. It sounds silly but I think they somehow understand that they have been saved and a better life awaits them.

I hope everyone’s summer garden has been bountiful and educational.

Daphne

2 comments:

  1. Daphne, Thanks so much for all of the things that I have learned from you over this growing season. I have started to rethink and plan the garden for next spring and I only wish I knew what I could plan around here for a "fall/winter" garden. Not much I'm guessing. I look forward to your future posts and seeing how your fall and winter garden does. Hope your round of "garbage can" potatoes grows wonderfully. I'm still waiting to see how mine do.
    ~Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU Anna! I'm rethinking some things too so I know that we'll both have even better gardens next year. What zone is your garden in?

    ReplyDelete