Thursday, April 8, 2010

Daphne 101

Hi everyone! I'm new to this and never thought I would be a blogger but life continues to be full of surprises. It is important to prepare the soil before sowing the seeds and harvesting the bounty so I'll follow that example in this blog by sharing a bit of my background, goals and upcomming topics. Hopefully we can all use this platform to learn, share ideas and reach success together.

I was raised in a rural area on the outskirts of Sacramento County. We had acreage, a fort with a seasonal pond full of all types of interesting creatures and wildlife. The pond and fort were at the very back of the property so my older sister and younger brother and I could live out our wild imaginations and make crazy recipes such as alfalfa pellet cakes and proceed with our harebrained ideas without much interference from our parents. I remember spending countless hours digging up soft grasses that grew naturally on one side of the field and carefully transplanting the tufts along the banks of the pond. We were trying to create a picnic area on the waters edge - needless to say, it didn't take. Green pastures surrounded my life and they were brimming with interesting native plants such as ground cherries and Western chamomile. Pigs, cows, horses, chickens, ducks, goats and dogs with their own unique personalities and egos meandered around the fields and yard.

Long after my sister and brother had tired of the fields I would continue to sit in them, and observe. I would literally stare at the ground and leaves and pull seed pods apart to inspect them. I would look at the way the plants were constructed and sway in the same way that they did as the breeze moved through their stems and leaves. I tasted everything. I clearly remember running into the house and telling my mom how terrible a particular weed tasted and then ask if it was poisonous. My poor mom would always say, "These are questions you should ask BEFORE you eat something strange!" I ate things straight out of the garden too. I gobbled down at least two handfuls of corriander seeds in one sitting. No wonder I now have a stomach made of steal.

My mom loved her garden and working out in the yard. This must have been passed down to me in my DNA. She would spend hours either tending the garden or planting something new. She is the queen of transplanting. One day a shrub would be on this side of the yard and the next it was on the other. I always had an interest in what she was doing out there and I probably annoyed her to no end with my endless questions about plants and soil and worms and bugs. What's good, what's bad, what's happy, what's dying, who's moving where, what are you getting next, what's the name of that, how can you tell, and why on earth are you doing that? These were just some of the questions, I'm sure.

I continued to have these questions and as a young adult I decided that I wanted to become a landscape architect. I studied plant identification and I still have binders and binders with thousands of actual clippings from plants that I carefully and painstakingly pressed and preserved along with notes on their behavior, needs, dislikes and pests. I took soil chemistry classes and irrigation classes, propagation classes and nurserymen classes. Then I hated it. I was just "planted" out and I couldn't bear the thought of doing this for the rest of my life. I would think, "What happened to my passion?!" These plants are just not special anymore or at least they weren't treated that way in class or by me anymore. It was all about keeping things alive and finding things that didn't need much attention. Everything that I found enchanting about these living things was stripped and I was commingling with people that just didn't get it. I had to get into something else school-wise so I did and that's a whole other story that has nothing to do with this blog so I'll just leave it out.

My days of not caring about plants were numbered and I've cared very much for a few years now. I missed the act of growing and nurturing plants and this just had to be the year that I made room for them in my life once again. Luckily I have and I'm thrilled to share my passion, triumphs and moments of despair with you. I'd love to hear yours as well!!

However, I've also thrown in a few curve balls- well, maybe two. Besides my garden I'm also making time to dive head first into something that I've always found fascinating, beekeeping. I currently have one colony - I've had them for about two weeks. I'll share more information about this another time. OK so here is the kicker, I live in a metropolitan area in an awesome studio apartment - but yes, it's a studio and I'm on the fifth floor. I'm sure that you can see my challenges so if I can make this work, I know you can! I'm going to share my seedling stories in my next post but I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in seedlings soon. As I type this I have 61 heirloom tomato seedlings, 18 various squash seedlings and one eggplant seedling.

My goals for this blog are to:
1) document my experience as a learning tool for my future use and yours;
2) provide a safe environment for sharing ideas and tips for the home gardener and beekeeper; and
3) I'm a foodie so I'll love to share recipes that I either come across or create with my homegrown vegetables.

Upcoming topics/posts:
My plans for the garden: what I've done and where it's going
Beekeeping - why, what, when, where and how!
Organic gardening: tips, tricks and worries

I hope this introduction expresses my passions and lets you know where I'm coming from. I know enough to get me into trouble but by no means am I an expert and I certainly hope that I never come across that way. If I'm doing something stupid, please let me know (gently if possible).

P.S. The name, "Calling Demeter" is to pay homage to my love of the ancient Greek culture and of course, I'll need all the help from Demeter (the goddess of the bountiful harvest) that I can get. : )

Happy planting!

Daphne

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daphne. I am interested in your progress! You are taking on a lot of little lives with the bees and seedlings...good luck!
    I am starting a vegetable garden for the first time. I have about 100 seedlings...I am nervous to trasnplant them into my ground garden. I feel like it is sending a child off to school for the first time. I'm not ready for them to be off in the big world by themselves. They are so sweet and safe in my windowsill.
    How big should my seedlings be before I plant them in the ground? I'm afraid of snails...do you have an organic solution?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheshell! Thanks so much for your post. I think that any diligent gardener that starts their garden from seed feels the same way that you do. You work so hard at getting those seeds to germinate and then you've made it past the dampening-off stage - it seems that everything is stacked against them outside. You need to remember that plants are really very hardy and are amazing at self preservation. However, we need to give them the best opportunity possible.

    Depending on where you are located, I would wait until May to plant your seedlings in the ground. I was told that a way to check to see if the soil is warm enough for planting is to be able to sit your bare bottom on the ground without getting chilled. But I don't want to send you off without your skivvies so I would recommend purchasing a soil thermometer. I've found a great website that you can use as a guide to find optimum soil temperatures for various garden vegetables: http://www.plantcare.com/gardening-guides/soils/how-to-use-a-soil-thermometer.aspx. Also, make sure that you have a couple of sets of “true leaves” and don’t forget to harden them off before you send them on their way. One of my favorite websites is where I buy my heirloom tomato seeds. I have the link to company on my list of favorite sites. She offers a thorough explanation for starting seeds and how to properly temper them for the outdoors.

    As for snails, yes they can find seedlings very tasty! An organic solution is as easy as crumbling up used eggshells and scattering them around your babes. The slugs and snails can't cross this scratchy barrier and it adds calcium to your soil! Another option is to buy copper banding or tape and place a ring of wire around the base of each plant. I've heard that the copper repels these creatures by giving them a shock. Oh and there is the old tired but true beer bath offering. By placing small dishes of beer out, you can lure the slugs and snails to a beer binged death.

    Good luck - sounds like you're off to a great start. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete