Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What's Your Zone?

Today I found a seedling with its roots up in the air and the leaves were under ground. That was interesting. I had to fix it but now I'm wondering what would have happened if I left it. Would it right itself? Oh well, that’s not the focus of my entry today.

I'd like to take a moment to talk about zones. There was a lunchtime discussion today and to my surprise only one person was familiar with climate zones. I thought that this was something that everyone knew but I think that it's my fault for making that assumption. It's a simple concept but very helpful in finding plants that will do well in your garden. In most cases a number is assigned to show what a particular plant will be hardy to - example, some tropical plants that prefer zone 24 may be hardy to zone 9. In general the lower the number the colder the zone is. However, zoning factors in a broad range of factors such as winter and summer temperatures, elevation, coastal influence, mountains, rain, aridity, humidity and length of growing season. So a plant that requires, zones 8, 9, 12-24 means that it grows mostly in warmer climates but it can accept the thermal belts of zone 8 and 9 (hardy to zone 8-9).

I can see how this might get confusing because I happen to live in Sunset zone 14 but my garden is in Sunset zone 9. This may seem like a big jump but coastal influences and terrain can really affect a growing area. I actually only live abut 20 miles away from my garden but it seems like oceans away based on the number. I acknowledge this confusion and try to simplify by only using one zone directory (there are others such as the USDA zones) and that is the Sunset Western Garden zone chart. If you don't have this book, I really recommend it (if you live in the West). It is so useful. I've read it like an actual book cover to cover more than once. You can imagine how that could be possible in plant identification classes. As I'm flipping through the pages now I've just discovered some old plant lists from class. Loropetalum, Myoporum, Callistemon, Pandorea, oh and Tamarix...these bring back great memories and I'm surprised I remember them. My point is, this book is great and if you love to work in the yard, you will use this bible over and over again. You may not find it as helpful for your vegetable garden but I think it will get you thinking about fundamentals of plant identification and plant needs - oh and of course it will be most helpful for your landscape plants. I just noticed that a new edition is out. I haven't seen it but I've loved all of the previous ones.

I would do a zone specific exercise but I don't know who would benefit from zone 9 analysis. So it would be interesting to know, what zone are you from?

If you are interested in finding your zone, check out the USDA Zone Finder and/or Sunset Climate Zone finder. These will probably be different numbers. As you know, I prefer the Sunset zones. 

Daphne

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daphne,
    My Sunset zone is 45 and my US Zone is 3, so yes.. we are chilly! :)

    ReplyDelete