Monday, April 26, 2010

Butterflies and Dampness

Miracle granted. The tomatoes came up today. Now I'm getting ready to search for branches that will soon fall. A big storm is on it's way to California right now so I'm hoping in a few days I'll have plenty to choose from. I'm going to used the branches to build supports for cucumber vines and beens. I'm a little worried about taking branches from the park accross from my apartment - not sure if I could get into trouble for that. Afterall, I suppose it would be stealing potential mulch.

On a separate note, I read a great tip on how to easily but properly space small seeds. Take a length of toilet paper (organic would be best and not multi-ply), wet it and place the seeds onto it based on the spacing requirements. Fold the toilet paper to sandwich the seeds - you should now have a long thin "tape" of seeds that are perfectly spaced. Plant underground or at the surface as required. The seeds will germinate and grow through the paper.

It's official, I have blossoms on a squash plant. If this weather doesn't get better soon, it appears I will have a full blown garden in my apartment. These seedlings aren't waiting for me.

Today it was blue skys, flowers and butterflies. Tmorrow it will be wind, fallen branches and dampness. It makes me wonder where the butterflies go during a storm.

Daphne

No comments:

Post a Comment