Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quick Tomato News

As I mentioned before in a previous post that I...ehem...the sun killed some of my precious and very rare heirloom tomato seedlings. I am confirming that yes, over half of them are dead and they won't be making an encore appearance. Luckily I had a few seeds of each variety left so I decided to try the old first grader method of starting them in a damp paper towel. Here goes nothing! I'll cross my fingers and give a shout out to Demeter. I hope these babies germinate. Please, I need some good luck...things are just not going right at this point in my adventure.

This is random but I read part of a book called Beekeeping for All by Abbe Warre today and there was a section that all of us who value working in the outdoors will apprieciate. There were so many meaningful things in it but I've pasted a little of it here. This is something that I think everyone that is interested in this blog can relate to:

"For the human being is a composite being. The body needs exercise without which it atrophies. The mind needs exercising too, otherwise it deteriorates. Intellectuals deteriorate physically. Manual workers, behind their machines, suffer intellectual deterioration.

Working on the land is best suited to the needs of human beings. There, both mind and body play their part.
But society needs its thinkers, its office workers and its machine operatives. Clearly these people cannot run farms at the same time. But in their leisure time (they must have some of it) they can be gardeners and beekeepers and at the same time satisfy their human needs."

Daphne

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daphne! Sorry about your tomatoes :( I like you blog...I too started my first one this spring to keep up with my new garden. I've been talking about starting a garden for years now but have finally taken the initiative to actually do it!
    I look forward to keeping up with your garden...feel free to check mine out :)
    Liz
    www.behindtheparsonage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sheshell!

    Hi Liz! Thanks for the post and I'm glad that you are enjoying the blog. I'm excited to check yours out as well. You should feel proud that you made this year "the year" - it certainly can be a lot of work. Thumbs up!

    Daphne

    ReplyDelete